ULUWATU SURF REPORT -MAY 3
Uluwatu Surf report
May 3, 2019
“Small-ish swell at the moment on the Bukit. Head high at Bingin, Impossibles and Dreamland. Uluwatu had some overhead waves. More swell on the way in a few days”
Swell Bali Bali Bukit Surf Report -“
Surfing pics Uluwatu
We should be posting surf reports and surf pictures from the Bukit 4-5 times per week now for the coming surf season here in Bali
Need an incentive to visit Bali on your next surf holiday?
Show this video about Bali to your non-surfing partner
HOW DO I BOOK A HOLIDAY WITH YOU?
Booking a surf trip with Swell Bali is easy:
Check out the various pages on our website, which have a lot of information about what we offer at our surf hotel.
That way, you know exactly what you can expect when you book a trip with us.
We want happy clients at Swell so we try to be as honest and transparent about what we offer. We don’t take photos which make our rooms look bigger or pretend we are something we are not. We don’t make promises we can’t keep because we know how important your surf holiday is for you. If anything is not clear on our website, do send us an email so we can help you make the right decision.
We hope we can welcome you to our place!
Jeroen & Clare (owners, Swell Bali)
- Check the different packages on offer on the pricing page to get an idea whether what we offer suits your needs and your budget. We know we are not cheap and we make no excuses for that. Like all things in life, you get what you pay for and Swell may not suit your pocket; it’s OK, we understand and we wish you a great surf vacation wherever you end up staying. We offer private rooms and also a shared room as a cheaper option
- If our place looks right for you, send us a quick message with your dates and we get back to you in a few hours to tell you if we have space in the week you asked for (or we can suggest alternative dates). We will also send you a price quote with exactly what’s included in our surf holiday packages.
- To reserve your stay at Swell we will require a non-refundable deposit so we can confirm your stay and save one of our rooms for you. If you want the option to cancel, then only book last-minute, when you know you are coming. Payment is done via 128-bit secured external credit card processor (alternative payment options are available, such as PayPal).
How to book:
If you are staying 5 nights or longer, your stay will include an airport transfer from Denpasar to Swell or from Swell to Denpasar. Once payment is made, we will send you a link to an arrivals form you fill out, so we can make sure our driver picks you up from the airport for a hassle-free start of your surfing vacation. If you are staying less than 5 nights, we can still arrange your collection or drop off from the airport with one of our special drivers; just ask us to include it in your quotation.
If you have any questions, we are here to answer those for you; we want to make sure that you are booking the right surf holiday (even if that means you not staying with us).
When you send us an email we get back to you very quickly (that’s a promise).
Swell does not work with any travel agents, or external sites for our bookings, so all reservations are handled by Clare, the co-owner of Swell.
WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO IN BALI, BESIDES SURFING?
We need quite a lot of time to give you all the info on the Island of Bali and what’s on offer, besides great beginner surf lessons, perfect intermediate surf spots, and world-class waves for you expert surfers. We are making a page which is dedicated to a list of the top 20 things to do in Bali (but like our surf hotel, it’s not quite ready yet). We are fast workers though: For the time being; here’s a shorter list of our Top 20 Bali activities (we have started with the places closest to us).
1. Get barrelled at Bingin beach (sorry, we couldn’t resist!)
2. Learn to Surf (OK, that’s enough surfing for now……)
3. Visit Uluwatu temple, right on the cliff edge and overlooking Temple’s surf break (obviously-named). Stroll around the beautiful grounds and feed the many monkeys who live there. Book for the Fire Dance which takes place at sunset most evenings. It’s a stunning local dance with a story; very entertaining and in a magical setting.
4. Go snorkeling, directly from the beach at Bingin (so many colorful fish!)
5. Have a sunset dinner at El Kabron restaurant (5 minutes drive from Swell) overlooking all the best surf breaks on the Bukit Peninsula. El Kabron has gourmet Spanish food and an amazing setting with a pool overlooking all the surf. Reservations are required in high season.
6. Visit the stunning beach of Uluwatu and go into the Suluban Caves (also check the entrance and exit for the surfers on a large swell at high tide!). That’s just a 10-minute scooter ride from Swell.
7. Enjoy an evening fish BBQ on Bingin beach; you can walk down from Swell and eat the catches of the day.
8. Visit the stunning Green Bowl beach (named for its beautiful green, algae covered rocks). Green Bowl is 25 minutes, really nice scooter ride through uncrowded roads, past local villages and Temples.
9. Visit Pandawa beach; also stunning and about 35 minutes from us.
10. Visit Nyang Nyang beach (you’ve guessed it, another stunning Bukit Peninsula beach). This one is only 15 minutes scooter ride from us.
11. Enjoy a sunset drink and simple food at Sunset Point, Uluwatu (it’s the hip thing to do).
12. Take a drive out to the peaceful, sheer cliff faces over Melasti Beach (close to Green Bowl).
13. Go swimming in the crystal clear water at Thomas Beach (actually, this is the ‘real’ Padang Padang beach), a vast expanse of white sand and azure ocean. Thomas beach is only 10 minutes from Swell by scooter. You can also surf there by the way.
14. Visit baby Padang Padang beach; this one’s very touristy after Julia Roberts filmed Eat, Pray Love on this beach. You can see why it was chosen for the film, blue blue water and stunning rocks. There are almost always monkeys around the beach here so take care with your stuff. We prefer Thomas Beach btw. where, at the Warung (local restaurant) bottom right of the steps, you can eat the best spring rolls in Asia, courtesy of Amril!
15. Go party at Ulu Cliff house (Friday night Dj’s and some big names perform here).
16. Go party at the famous Single Fin bar, overlooking Uluwatu surfing – Sunday nights are a huge party
17. Enjoy a lovely meal at Mana, Uluwatu, one of the newest and best restaurants on the Bukit. Sunset reservations will be required.
18. Go further afield to visit the stunning Water Palace of Balai Gili (about 2.5 hours drive from us). This is a hidden gem of a Royal Palace, not many tourists go and it’s a great way to spend 2 or 3 hours wandering around these gorgeous, lotus-filled gardens and palace buildings.
19. Combine your trip to Balai Gili with a stop on the way to visit Tegenungan Waterfall.
20. Visit the brand new Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue – standing 121 meters tall, this is truly monumental and the 2nd highest statue in the World. You can get to this with a cruisy scooter ride through Dreamland from Swell, in about 20 minutes.
That’s it for now and we’ve left a load of things out which are fun to do: More to come!
About Swell :
After opening our first surf camp in the Dominican Republic in 2010 with such a positive response from our guests, we’ve been searching for another ideal location to build our second surf hotel. The search was not easy; we bought land in Costa Rica and spent a long time in Mexico whilst we searched for a location we knew our guests would love. We gave up on both of those locations eventually, either because the waves were not quite good enough, or because outside of surfing, there were was nothing else to do, or nowhere decent to eat a nice meal out. Jeroen, co-owner of Swell and my husband from the Netherlands, had always loved Bali and so he went back 3 years ago to see if it was still the beautiful island he remembered. He found it so and convinced me, Clare, (originally from the UK) to come and see for myself. Initially, I didn’t like Bali too much as we started in Seminyak and Canggu; I found to be busy places with too much traffic. It was when we drove out to the Bukit Penisula that I fell in love and most particularly with one of the most stunning beaches I had ever seen, right in the least spoiled, quiet Balinese community of Bingin village.
We were already experienced in running a successful surf hotel and know exactly what our clients need; a stylish, safe and social place to stay whilst they surf, learn to surf, or just chill. Swell Bali was born of all our experience so far for the best Bali surf & yoga retreat experience, and has been designed and built especially to cater to all your needs: A comfortable room with a divine bed, A/C and ensuite, a large communal space to hang out with fellow guests, a beautiful swimming pool and superb staff to look after you, all just a few minutes walk to the surf. We know about food too and you will have a great breakfast to set you up and some simple, tasty dinners at the surf hotel to get to know your fellow guests a little better. Our great location also means you are a short walk to lovely restaurants like the Cashew Tree or Casa Asia.
A Luxury surf camp/surf hotel
We hired well-known architects to design Swell Bali, our 2nd stylish, Bali surf camp retreat. Tremendous planning and thought has gone into every aspect of Swell Bali’s design.
If you are new to surfing, we will set up your surf lessons with an excellent surf school who can either teach you to surf right here at Bingin beach, or at beautiful Balangan beach.
If you are an intermediate surfer, we can set you up with a surf guide who will help you find the right wave for your level of surfing. We can also arrange progressive or intermediate surf lessons for you to suit your skills with our partner surf school.
If you are an expert surfer who wants quality accommodation and people to hang out with, look no further than Swell Bali. Bingin, a world class barrelling wave is 200m from our front door. Impossibles can also be reached by foot and a paddle. Balangan, Padang-Padang and Uluwatu are all less than 10 minutes by scooter, or, with a surf guide we can set up for you.
If you are into Yoga rather than surfing and want a sociable place to stay, Swell surf hotel in Bingin has a wide choice of Yoga classes on offer locally. You could take Yoga classes at the Bali Training Center and Temple Lodge, both of which are a charming walk away.
Since opening our first surf camp in 2010, we have hosted more than 7000 guests and taught 1000’s of people how to surf in a safe environment. Our first hotel won multiple awards and has 100’s of excellent reviews from happy guests. Swell Cabarete continues to be one of the top destinations for couples, groups and solo travelers to go to as the #1 luxury surf holiday. Now, Swell Bali will offer the same level of comfort, friendship and style to surfers of all levels.
Swell Bali offers package surf holidays that take all the hassle out of the planning, with airport transfers included in our week-long packages, transport to the beaches and much more, all Swell guests can enjoy a stress-free holiday right from the start. You just have to book your flights, and we take care of the rest!
With so many daily flights available into Denpasar (DPS) from all over the world, you will find it very easy to get to Swell Bali!
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE AGE AT SWELL?
The average age of Swell Bali Surf & Yoga Retreat clients varies per week, but generally speaking, the people who come to stay with us on their Bali surf vacation are aged between 25 and 50. That’s not to say that in certain weeks there’s more people in their 20’s than 40’s (or the other way around). Our clients come from all of the world and everyone has one thing in common, they want the comforts of a surf retreat, combined with the social aspect of a surf hostel.
I AM TRAVELLING SOLO, IS THAT OK?
About 70% of the clients who come to Swell Bingin Surf Retreat for surf & active holiday, travel solo. As a result, we’ve made it very easy to meet like-minded travelers from all over the world, to surf, eat and chill together. If you are looking for a social Bali surf holiday, then a stay at Swell will definitely be the right option for you.
Have a look at our reviews on external sites like Tripadvisor and you will see the social aspect at Swell Bali as the no.1 recurring theme.
I HAVE NEVER SURFED BEFORE, IS THIS RIGHT FOR ME?
Bali is not just one of the best places in the world for expert surfers. For beginners and intermediate surfers, Bali is also a true surfers paradise with lots of mellow spots.
Need lessons or surf guiding in Bali? Swell Bali Surf Camp can organize it