HOW DO I BOOK A HOLIDAY WITH YOU?
Booking a surf trip with Swell Bali is easy:
Check out the various pages on our website, which have a lot of information about what we offer at our surf hotel.
That way, you know exactly what you can expect when you book a trip with us.
We want happy clients at Swell so we try to be as honest and transparent about what we offer. We don’t take photos which make our rooms look bigger or pretend we are something we are not. We don’t make promises we can’t keep because we know how important your surf holiday is for you. If anything is not clear on our website, do send us an email so we can help you make the right decision.
We hope we can welcome you to our place!
Jeroen & Clare (owners, Swell Bali)
- Check the different packages on offer on the pricing page to get an idea whether what we offer suits your needs and your budget. We know we are not cheap and we make no excuses for that. Like all things in life, you get what you pay for and Swell may not suit your pocket; it’s OK, we understand and we wish you a great surf vacation wherever you end up staying. We offer private rooms and also a shared room as a cheaper option
- If our place looks right for you, send us a quick message with your dates and we get back to you in a few hours to tell you if we have space in the week you asked for (or we can suggest alternative dates). We will also send you a price quote with exactly what’s included in our surf holiday packages.
- To reserve your stay at Swell we will require a non-refundable deposit so we can confirm your stay and save one of our rooms for you. If you want the option to cancel, then only book last-minute, when you know you are coming. Payment is done via 128-bit secured external credit card processor (alternative payment options are available, such as PayPal).
How to book:
If you are staying 5 nights or longer, your stay will include an airport transfer from Denpasar to Swell or from Swell to Denpasar. Once payment is made, we will send you a link to an arrivals form you fill out, so we can make sure our driver picks you up from the airport for a hassle-free start of your surfing vacation. If you are staying less than 5 nights, we can still arrange your collection or drop off from the airport with one of our special drivers; just ask us to include it in your quotation.
If you have any questions, we are here to answer those for you; we want to make sure that you are booking the right surf holiday (even if that means you not staying with us).
When you send us an email we get back to you very quickly (that’s a promise).
Swell does not work with any travel agents, or external sites for our bookings, so all reservations are handled by Clare, the co-owner of Swell.
WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO IN BALI, BESIDES SURFING?
We need quite a lot of time to give you all the info on the Island of Bali and what’s on offer, besides great beginner surf lessons, perfect intermediate surf spots, and world-class waves for you expert surfers. We are making a page which is dedicated to a list of the top 20 things to do in Bali (but like our surf hotel, it’s not quite ready yet). We are fast workers though: For the time being; here’s a shorter list of our Top 20 Bali activities (we have started with the places closest to us).
1. Get barrelled at Bingin beach (sorry, we couldn’t resist!)
2. Learn to Surf (OK, that’s enough surfing for now……)
3. Visit Uluwatu temple, right on the cliff edge and overlooking Temple’s surf break (obviously-named). Stroll around the beautiful grounds and feed the many monkeys who live there. Book for the Fire Dance which takes place at sunset most evenings. It’s a stunning local dance with a story; very entertaining and in a magical setting.
4. Go snorkeling, directly from the beach at Bingin (so many colorful fish!)
5. Have a sunset dinner at El Kabron restaurant (5 minutes drive from Swell) overlooking all the best surf breaks on the Bukit Peninsula. El Kabron has gourmet Spanish food and an amazing setting with a pool overlooking all the surf. Reservations are required in high season.
6. Visit the stunning beach of Uluwatu and go into the Suluban Caves (also check the entrance and exit for the surfers on a large swell at high tide!). That’s just a 10-minute scooter ride from Swell.
7. Enjoy an evening fish BBQ on Bingin beach; you can walk down from Swell and eat the catches of the day.
8. Visit the stunning Green Bowl beach (named for its beautiful green, algae covered rocks). Green Bowl is 25 minutes, really nice scooter ride through uncrowded roads, past local villages and Temples.
9. Visit Pandawa beach; also stunning and about 35 minutes from us.
10. Visit Nyang Nyang beach (you’ve guessed it, another stunning Bukit Peninsula beach). This one is only 15 minutes scooter ride from us.
11. Enjoy a sunset drink and simple food at Sunset Point, Uluwatu (it’s the hip thing to do).
12. Take a drive out to the peaceful, sheer cliff faces over Melasti Beach (close to Green Bowl).
13. Go swimming in the crystal clear water at Thomas Beach (actually, this is the ‘real’ Padang Padang beach), a vast expanse of white sand and azure ocean. Thomas beach is only 10 minutes from Swell by scooter. You can also surf there by the way.
14. Visit baby Padang Padang beach; this one’s very touristy after Julia Roberts filmed Eat, Pray Love on this beach. You can see why it was chosen for the film, blue blue water and stunning rocks. There are almost always monkeys around the beach here so take care with your stuff. We prefer Thomas Beach btw. where, at the Warung (local restaurant) bottom right of the steps, you can eat the best spring rolls in Asia, courtesy of Amril!
15. Go party at Ulu Cliff house (Friday night Dj’s and some big names perform here).
16. Go party at the famous Single Fin bar, overlooking Uluwatu surfing – Sunday nights are a huge party
17. Enjoy a lovely meal at Mana, Uluwatu, one of the newest and best restaurants on the Bukit. Sunset reservations will be required.
18. Go further afield to visit the stunning Water Palace of Balai Gili (about 2.5 hours drive from us). This is a hidden gem of a Royal Palace, not many tourists go and it’s a great way to spend 2 or 3 hours wandering around these gorgeous, lotus-filled gardens and palace buildings.
19. Combine your trip to Balai Gili with a stop on the way to visit Tegenungan Waterfall.
20. Visit the brand new Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue – standing 121 meters tall, this is truly monumental and the 2nd highest statue in the World. You can get to this with a cruisy scooter ride through Dreamland from Swell, in about 20 minutes.
That’s it for now and we’ve left a load of things out which are fun to do: More to come!
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE AGE AT SWELL?
The average age of Swell Bali Surf Camp clients varies per week, but generally speaking, the people who come to stay with us on their surf vacation are aged between 25 and 50. That’s not to say that in certain weeks there’s more people in their 20’s than 40’s (or the other way around). Our clients come from all of the world and everyone has one thing in common, they want the comforts of a surf retreat, combined with the social aspect of a surf hostel.
I AM TRAVELLING SOLO, IS THAT OK?
About 70% of the clients who come to Swell Bali Surf campfor surf retreat & active holiday, travel solo. As a result, we’ve made it very easy to meet like-minded travelers from all over the world, to surf, eat and chill together. If you are looking for a social surf holiday, then a stay at Swell will definitely be the right option for you.
Have a look at our reviews on external sites like Tripadvisor and you will see the social aspect at Swell as the no.1 recurring theme. And it’s not just the single and solo travelers who enjoy the company of new friends. For couples or groups, it’s also a great way to make new friends from all over the globe.
I HAVE NEVER SURFED BEFORE, IS THIS RIGHT FOR ME?
Bali is not just one of the best places in the world for expert surfers. For beginners and intermediate surfers, Bali is also a true surfers paradise with lots of mellow spots.
Here on the Bukit spots like Balangan, Dreamland Bingin ( on high tides) and Baby Padang are ideal surfing spots for the less experienced surfers
Need lessons or surf guiding in Bali? Swell Bali Surf Camp can organize it
Swell Bali is opening in 2020 in Bingin, Bali.
After being the top rated surf holiday in the Caribbean for over a decade, Jeroen & Clare decided to take the concept of an upscale surf camp to the island of Bali, in Indonesia. We’ve put it all together as if we would be the guests and thought about what we would like in an ideal surf vacation.
Our location has been carefully chosen, right in the heart of the charming surf town of Bingin, in the southern part of Bali, where the best surfing beaches, like Uluwatu, Padang Padang, Impossibles and Bingin are all found. All the above-mentioned surf spots are either a short scooter ride from us, or spots like Bingin, Dreamland and Impossibles can be easily accessed in a 3-minute walk from Swell to the cliff front of Bingin.
Swell Bali is located right in the center of Bingin. Several well-known restaurants, like the Cashew Tree and Casa Asia, serving healthy, organic and tasty food are within a few minutes walk of our front door. Two more restaurants are opening shortly. You will also find Daya surf shop, a laundry and a mini-mart within 70 meters of Swell. Just around the corner, there’s a money exchange and a trip operator to help you get to other islands, or different parts of Bali.
Swell Bali caters for surfers of all levels: From complete beginners with no surfing experience at all, who want to learn to surf, to expert surfers who are in Bali to enjoy world-class spots like Uluwatu and Padang Padang. What sets Swell apart from any other accommodation or surf hotels in Bali is that it combines the social aspect of a surf camp/hostel with the comfort and style of a boutique hotel.
Services such as surf lessons & surf guiding are available for beginners and intermediate surfers who want to progress with their surfing. We will make sure you get to see and surf the best surf spots to fit your ability.
Don’t want to travel with your own surfboard to Bali? No problem, Swell Bali will have a large surfboard rental pool available exclusively for Swell clients. Ranging from 5’6 performance shortboards to 9’2 longboards.
Package pricing is similar to our Swell in the Caribbean: Week long packages will have airport transfers, lodging, breakfasts and a couple of dinners, as well as excursions to the nearby hotspots.
We hope to welcome you to the islands of the gods for an unforgettable Bali Surf Holiday with Swell!